Sunday, October 4, 2020

Yoga in action

In this new pandemic world we are living in my yoga teacher training (which concluded this summer) has been a life line.  Breathing, moving, staying in my body are all my essential self-care practices.  

One of my yoga goals from the start is sharing this resource, this life-line, with my community, and particularly Spanish speaking working class folks (people like my parents and abuelos) who wouldn't have access otherwise.  I took my connections to the promotores de salud community and created a series of classes in Spanish that started 3 weeks ago.

What a joy.  My students are primarily completely new to yoga, which feels like a big responsibility.  They identified their needs in a survey, where I learned that stress reduction, sleep, improving balance and exercise are their goals.  

What I've tried so far:

  • The space orientation from "My Grandmother's hands" that I find a great way to open a class and get folks in their space and body straight away.  I wish this book was translated into Spanish!!!
  • Yoga nidra is my go to for sleep issues, and I pulled together a yoga nidra script from different sources and translated into Spanish.  I tried it for the first time last week, and they loved it!!  
  • I keep to the same basic sequence, which is a solid trauma informed practice, where repetition creates a container of safety.  I tweak a bit and have a different theme each week.  The sequence and themes reflect their survey input.  


No comments:

Post a Comment